Monday, October 7, 2013

Do you want a free china cabinet, they said......

My friend called me and asked me if I was interested in a free china hutch.

Well, duh!

She cleans homes in town and some of them are high end places and they occasionally ditch furniture and she hooks me up. It's kind of tall and ugly, she told me - she described it as kind of a gold finish. No prob. easily refinished. We made plans to pick it up.

We got there, and it was this.... this thing.


It was over 7 feet tall, heavy as lead, and ugly as all get out. That's a POND scene painted on the drawers. And some kind of gold spray all over it. Plus, it was not real wood - it was some kind of wood fibers, poured into molds, and then glued together. It took three beefy dudes to load it, and even then they were really struggling with it. So we got it home and it lived on my porch for a  couple of weeks. I got tired of people stopping and asking me about it, and friends and neighbors seeing it and commenting about it all the time... it had to go, it was a real "attention - getter" and I hate that kind of thing at my house! I don't want to be known as the "odd furniture assortment on the porch" house in the neighborhood.
 

Pond scene? Really?



It took an hour or more just to tape up all those glass door panels. Ugh. Then I decided on this paint I thought was going to be more grey than blue; but enough blue to not be totally grey.... but it turned out blue-blue. So, it is what it is. I painted the accent parts white. It looks kind of Parisian/Frenchy I think. And it requires a biiiiiig house. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to sell it. LOL
In the meantime, it looks pretty neat in the shop, it's better to get attention there than at my house!

No comments: