Sunday, April 28, 2013

Oak Coffee Table "Re"....



Hubby and I discovered this at the Goodwill. It's not very old. It used to have little "wings" on it, with hinges, so that when it was open, it was round. But, the "wings" were missing. It was also covered in peeling black paint. It actually wasn't too bad as a black piece.... but I had an idea in mind that was a little more dynamic and "shabby cottage".


I used a little get stripper to get the majority of the paint off the top, and Kevin sanded off the top for me. I helped a little bit. Here, I was starting to stain the top ("golden oak" by Minwax). I still think it would have been fine left black on the bottom, but...




I think white, being more neutral, will sell better.  I chalk painted the bottom white and lightly distressed the legs, and finished off the whole thing in a light wax. It is as heavy as all get out, being solid oak.




No comments: