I read about 200 tutorials on how to do this before I actually got up the nerve to do it. Yep, I'm a very cautious person.
I knew this chair needed something fresh and new, but was dreading - absolutely dreading - upholstering it. I don't know why... I just was.
I got it as part of a partial trade I did with a client on some custom work I did for her, back in October. It is really good quality, but the weird, fake crackle finish disturbed me, and the odd black bird cage print was just a tad faded, but not ripped or anything.
I do not recommend getting the upholstery wet with a spray bottle and then adding the 80% chalk paint 20% water mixture. I recommend just straight up painting it. Otherwise, the fabric is so wet, the paint just soaks right in and the whole thing is a sopping mess.
Overall, I am very pleased with the result, and would totally do this again!