Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Re-Styled Junque Home Decor


I love turning something shabby into something beautiful and useful. Here's a couple things I've done recently....

Above is a sign I made just yesterday. I found the old chippy board in the barn (The previous owners of this farm didn't throw anything out, leaving me tons of treasure to discover in the barns!) with Kevin tells me was actually a windowsill at one point in the history of the house. I've been "sitting" on it for awhile, trying to decide just what I wanted to do with it; and I finally settled on something. I was going to make this plural but ran out of room for the  "s". After I got done lettering it I put a coat of polyurethane on it to stop the paint from chipping off anymore. Then I slapped her up on one of my walls. The sign is about 26 inches long.



I bought the sofa at a rescue mission thrift shop, after weaseling the guy down from $60 to $40. Months ago. I liked the "lines" of the sofa, and the fact that even though it's pretty faded, it is clean and sturdy.

I bought this Rachel Ashwell "Shabby Chic" cotton slipcover in a lovely natural linen color on eBay for another $60. It's in my office/den right now; a room that is a work in progress. I may change to throw pillows to a green or blue theme, though. 

When I looked at the Pottery Barn catalogs for this spring/summer, there were slip covered sofas like this all throughout. And of course it's very "shabby chic" as well.

Pottery Barn identical slip covered sofa - $100.

HA.




4 comments:

Crystal said...

Can I borrow some of your awesomeness in creativity?? That sign is beautiful, along with the couch! I think when it comes to decorating, I just don't have many ideas. Oh, well. At least I don't have that problem with cooking! :p

Hosanna said...

I didn't have many ideas at first, either! I didn't do anything to my house for over a year after moving in. I suggest looking at decorating magazines, and cut out everything you see that jumps out at you or that makes you say I LOVE THAT! I do that, and stick them in a scrapbook. Gradually, your personal decor style will evolve, and you'll start to "spot" items you can re-do or use in your overall scheme. Good decor doesn't happen overnight! :)

Unknown said...

That is a really great price for such a beautiful sofa!! I love the sign! How long did it take for you to finish it?

http://graciesnotebook.blogspot.com

Hosanna said...

Lettering the sign took about 1 hour; then I let it dry for several more hours. Putting on the coat of poly took a few moments. I'd say it took a good afternoon of painting and drying to finish it.