Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Blueberry Memories From Childhood

I found myself picking blueberries not long ago, and I had memories of a book my mother used to read to me called "Blueberries For Sal". (By Robert McCloskey.)
I then realized that I don't own that book.... so I immediately ordered a copy from a vintage book seller on Etsy.

Photobucket

Written in 1948, the story is about a mother and her young daughter going blueberry picking on a hillside in Maine.

Photobucket

They encounter some bears, and the bears encounter them, and - well - you just need to read it!

"Now, Sal, you run along and pick your own berries. Mother wants to take hers home and can them for next winter."

Photobucket

So I had these berries, and I had this book; and in the midst of it all, I had this distant memory of eating a pie that had something to do with blueberries and sour cream..... but I couldn't quite place the exact time, place, or taste.

I turned to one of my favorite forums - the Mary Jane's Farm Farmgirl Connection - and inquired about blueberry pies made with sour cream. I tried a couple of the suggestions, but none were like the faint memory of the pie I had eaten.

Then one day, I mentioned to my mom that I had gotten some fresh blueberries.

"Oh, you should make my sour cream and blueberry pie," she said.

I was all excited now. Questioning her, I found out that it was my mother's pie I was remembering. She quit making it when I was little, because my brothers decided they didn't like sour cream any more.

So today I made the pie - and it was exactly what I remembered.... a little taste of my childhood.

Photobucket

You can find my mom's recipe here.

Try the pie; and read the book!

3 comments:

lislynn said...

I'm starting the think that the reason we girls have always been such great friends is that our mothers are practically clones of each other :)

Catherine said...

You're the second person who's told me about that book. It must be good! Now I want to know what happens with that bear!

Hosanna said...

Lis - one of many, many reasons. :)