Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vintage Victorias and Other Random Stuff

Yesterday I came home to find a package from my Grandpa on my back steps. I opened it and found this lovely Breyer model:

 Photobucket

He's always been so supportive of my equestrian endeavors and of my teaching career, when I was still teaching. He called me and cried with me when one of my horses was hit in the highway and killed, and rejoiced with me upon all my wins and near wins during my trips to the show ring. He's also sent lots of books over the years. He's the best Grandfather ever. :)

 Photobucket

 I don't eat cereals often, and even when I do, I never eat them with milk - soggy! But recently I discovered how I love almond granola with low-fat yogurt; and this morning I had it with some very decent hot house strawberries I got for $1.00 a qt. Usually I cannot stand store bought, hot house strawberries, but these were surprisingly juicy and actually tasted like strawberries are supposed to taste. Mmmm. I was so impressed, I took a photo, and decided to mention it here. Silly me.

 Photobucket

 I bought this awesome book case at the Salvation Army thrift shop yesterday. For $8.00. It is solid, heavy wood, weighs a ton, and very sturdy. I despise flimsy particle board Wal-Mary variety shelving - they always look saggy after a while. I have been looking for solid wood book cases and this was perfect. So was the price.  I am going to paint it, of course; after I do I will show you the finished product.

I recently started looking for 1980's issues of Victoria, because they're getting rarer and rarer, and more and more expensive. I found these 6 copies on Etsy and bought them from this seller. They're all early issues; including the 2nd issue of the first run! She said she was going to get her hands on the first one and let me know so I could buy it, also.

 Photobucket

 Photobucket
This is the second published issue of Victoria Magazine.

 Photobucket

 Photobucket

 I love Victoria and started reading it in the mid 90's; all the way up until they quit publishing it around 2002 or '03 or something like that. They're publishing it again; but I haven't subscribed yet.
 Very little changed in the 80's - 90's; except for the hairstyles of the models and some of the fashions they show are decidedly 1980s (aHEM); but I forgive them.
 The loveliness is timeless, and the style is forever. When I need inspiration I turn to Victoria and she never fails to deliver!

 Photobucket

Photobucket

 Photobucket

3 comments:

Mom said...

OOOOhhh!!! I LOVE these, Hosanna! This is so you, and me, I might mention. I will have to come over one day with gingerbread and green tea and look at all of them!!

Susannah Forshey said...

oh MAN, I'm drooling! I miss that magazine....

Jodi Eliza said...

Oooh, fun for you! I love Victoria magazine! I found a few copies in a thrift store about a year ago... I brought them home, of course! Such 'pretty' reading material! :)