Saturday, November 28, 2009

It's the most wonderful time of the year!

Thanksgiving was at MY house this year. Seems like we have a little more room than everyone else at the moment. So on Wednesday Kevin, my niece Lexy and I started the Great Cleaning of 2009 to get ready.
We've been doing the drywall portion of our remodel, and there was dust everywhere throughout the house - even upstairs. (More on that later with some Kitchen Updates.)
By Thursday, it was mostly clean, but I still have not gotten to the upstairs rooms yet and here it is Saturday.
Luckily, I had hardly any cooking to do this year; my awesome Mom, sisters, and sister in law did most of it.
I did get a pumpkin cooked and made 2 pumpkin rolls. (I learned from Kevin's Mother last year that you have to make them in 2's - one for the actual dinner and dessert, and one for Kevin - and his nieces and nephews - to eat all by themselves.) I also made a pecan pie after my sister Naomi called me on Thanksgiving morning and said sis-in-law Sherry's awesome chocolate version wasn't what she wanted. FINE, I said. I'll make a plain one. So I whipped out a crust and turned out the pie.

I also tackled the turkey this year. Kevin and everyone were out in the woods and I was alone in the house, wrestling a 23 lb. turkey. I talked myself through it:
"I can do this. I've watched my mother do this a hundred times. Ok, you slimy bird, I will get you in that cooking bag and into that oven without dropping you....."

Photobucket

My brother Eli had knee surgery the day before; but he was determined to spend the day out in the woods with Kevin. He did it; although he was in a LOT of pain. (I love Abi's face in this picture.) Despite it all, he carved the turkey, and gave me a tutorial on making perfect gravy. I know how to make gravy, but his is special....

Photobucket
Noelle, the potato queen. She won't let me mash them anymore. She's got to do it just so.

Photobucket

Photobucket
My brother Lael's eye is messed up, as he got "jumped" by some thugs at a capture the flag game a week or so ago. He was beat up pretty bad, and they kicked his face; breaking his cheekbone and damaging his eye. This looks pretty good compared to before. So this Thanksgiving, I am thankful that my little Bro is ok and wasn't hurt worse that that! Who knew capture the flag could be so dangerous?

Photobucket
Sneaking my sister's famous lime jell-o salad. Tisk, tisk.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Impossibly adorable Pennell offspring. One wearing Uncle Kevin's tall boots....

Photobucket

A sneak peek at my 1800's log wall! I have worked so hard to strip the paint and whitewash off of it to reveal it's gloriousness....more later.

Photobucket

Custom artwork on my 1920's living room door. Courtesy of Brendan - or Alana? Or, was it Emilie and Ethan? No matter. A little Kilz and a top coat and we're all set. I have to paint that room anyway.

I had a great Thanksgiving! I love and adore my family! Onward to Christmas!

No comments: