Thursday, December 1, 2011

Mini Snowglobes

Happy December!

Photobucket

You readers are going to be subject to a barrage of Christmas crafting and decor posts this month, as well as other randomness....

My job has changed a bit recently and my schedule has changed a lot also, so I am working from home much less. For a little while, anyway. It's not permanent. This means I am looking for things to amuse myself (sitting with the elderly does not afford a lot of mental stimulation) while I'm at work. Which means crafts and randomness and more time for blogging about crafts and randomness. Haha!

So I read this post on Casey's blog
showing snow globes.

Of course I had to try it. The author mentioned that the snow globes were inspired by a Martha Stewart book and I have that book.... but I had never tried this project before now.

After I got done with work in the afternoon yesterday, I took myself thrifting (more on that later) and unwound from a beast of a day at the craft super store. Where I picked up the items for making snow globes.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't have time to harvest little pine cones or tree branches at home, so I settled for these adorable mini snow-tipped Christmas trees. So cute. I love little bitty stuff.

Photobucket

I had a few empty old baby food jars in my jar stash; ones I found in boxes in the barns here. I usually store spices in them. So one snow globe totally smells like cloves right now.

Photobucket

Fake snow, baby! It's awesome!

Photobucket

Photobucket

I didn't put water in mine. Too risky. They look neat anyway, I think. Martha Stewart suggests putting glycerine in the water and using glitter for the "snow". I like the idea but think I prefer this way.

Of course I add bows and ribbons to everything, so for these I used some vintage basting tape (I think that's what it's called) from a tin of vintage sewing supplies I bought at a yard sale a few weeks ago. I knew I would figure out ways to use that stuff.

This would be a great thing to do with older kids, and get fun stuff to put in the jars. I will probably do some larger ones with different natural stuff, or I may scavenge the ornament department at the craft store for neat little minis to put in them as well. The possibilities are endless.....

No comments: