Saturday, October 31, 2009

Happy *GASP* Halloween!

I was not raised to observe Halloween. I have never been trick or treating. But that's ok! ALL my life, I have had the most fun dressing up as different things. And even in my adulthood I have continued to love dressing up in costumes and being silly on occasion! Hooray!
I've dressed up Colonial, Antebellum, Victorian, 1940's, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, 1980's - oh, wait. I lived through those dark ages of fashion that was the 80's.... that wasn't dressing up, that was the real thing - never mind. Even though, I was just a child, and had NO CONTROL over that.....)
As an adult, I have loved dressing up as different people, and I think that Halloween is a great excuse for adults to dress up and act goofy without any remorse about it later.
This year is a little depressing, as I haven't had to dress up as anything. I confess I am extremely disappointed. So to console myself in my grief on this day without a costume, I have been looking at all the photos of my costumes throughout the years and laughing heartily. There are so many good ones; I wish I could share them all, but I picked out a few of my faves to post.

Last year, Kevin and I attended a local Fall Fundraiser as Ellie May and Jeb Clampett. Kevin even wore fake teeth. What a hoot!
 


The year before we were married, the theme for the Fundraiser was Pirates! So, my sister Naomi and I dove into out closets, found a few frilly shirts, and went for it. I wore my Dad's black velvet knee breeches from his Colonial costume, and my brother's waistcoat from his colonial outfit. A Victorian choker, tights, heels, and a ribbon in my hair and poof! I was "Elizabeth Swann"! (Pirates of the Caribbean.)
 


This was not for Halloween, but one of my BFFs Susi and I celebrated our 21st B-Day together, as our respective B-Days are one month apart. She was a respectable Jane Austen lady, and I? I went barefooted to my 21st B-day party as Galadriel from the Lord of the Rings. Mom made the dress, and I love it. The sleeves!
 


 

Wait a second! Hold on! Where did this one come from?! How embarrassing. This is my niece Abi and I in Darth Vader masks watching Star Wars two summers ago at my parent's! What the.............. :)

Another one of my all time favorites was when my sister (Naomi) and I made black robes and dressed as Ring Wraiths on Halloween. We costumed our horses as well, and rode all over the town. Passers by had no clue who we were! We created quite the stir in the town. People still talk about it. Let me tell you, there is nothing like galloping around on a horse in flowing black robes, silently creeping about the little village of Milton, stopping traffic......

Well this is really making me sad! Makes me want to go dig out my Ring Wraith robes and go for a gallop.

Onward to Thanksgiving and Christmas!! Yay!!
Posted by Picasa